AboutAudioFiction

4.08.2008

 

Can't touch this

Only one year after coming to the United States from India, Selvaraj was mugged violently. But when faced with a line-up of suspects and asked, "Who did it?" he reacted in a surprising way. It's a story about mugging, ragging, and the caste system as seen through the eyes of a guy that many Americans have a hard time figuring out.


"I walked a couple of streets and then I called 911." I remember seeing Selvaraj the night he was mugged. He was shaking and a wad of tissue was plugged up his bloody nostril. That same night, a police officer lined up four suspects and asked Selvaraj to identify the attacker. He was seventy percent sure he saw the guy.

Hear the complete, 11 minute audio online here.









Music and sound in this piece come from magnatune.com (Suchita Parte and John Williams), ndtv.com, and the FreeSound project.

Labels: ,



Comments:
Hi Hammad,

It is really a good job and fun to listen my voice. The way you put to gather all our conversation is amazing. It is really easy to understand by anyone. Also, it is good that you highlighted three vital issues from our conversation. I also found that I did many grammatical mistakes in my speech. It is really bad. For instance, the very first dialogue “when I was five years old guy” instead of kid. It is good thing that I can correct myself in future. In over all, the audio presentation is pretty good and correct mixture of NDTV journalist’s presentation. Last but not least, the presentation is ending with a rap song from Arular or kala album is awesome.

Regards,

Selvaraj
Selvaraj, I know we only met briefly when Hammad and you were living in New Haven together, but you are fantastic in this piece. Thank you. Hammad--your art is coming together very well. This was very enjoyable to listen to.
Just a note: there is a Tamil film superstar that Selvaraj really admires named Rajinikanth. I wanted to use music from his most recent album, but couldn't remember his name in time. If anyone is curious, just do a youtube search for Rajinikanth.
Hi Patrik,

i still remember you. How are you doing? I am doing good here. Thanks for you compliments. I still live in same house and you are always welcome. Thanks for the comments.

Selva
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home